A suggestion for those who write the blog posts (as I am currently just a humble editor):
I think it would be a good idea to create a "template" post for Question of the Week posts, and any other sorts of posts that are done on a regular basis. I was viewing the old QotW posts, and found a lot of inconsistency in their formatting. I've fixed the title and tag issues, but I'm sure there's some other cleanup that could be done.
Some of the things I've noticed:
- QotW inconsistently capitalized: Sometimes it's
QOTW, and one or two had it as
- Pound sign inconsistently used: Sometimes it would be
QotW XX, sometimes
- Inconsistent separator between QotW number and title: Sometimes
QotW #XX - Title, others
QotW #XX: Title, and some even just
QotW #XX Title.
- Inconsistent usage of the qotw tag: Some used it, some didn't.
- Some QotWs occasionally do not include a link to the question itself. Usually, this is spotted and fixed shortly after the post goes live but it has been a recurring issue.
- Inconsistent formatting of the post body.
- Inconsistent usage of the question title as the blog post title. This is obviously going to be an issue where the QotW is actually a post about multiple questions, and that's fine. In single-question cases though, the blog post title doesn't always match the question title.
As I've said, most of the title and tagging issues have been polished by now. However, these and the rest of the inconsistencies should be prevented in the future by use of a template. Some suggestions for the template:
- Title format:
QotW #XX: Title. Example, from #20:
QotW #20: Are Powerline ethernet adapters inherently secure?
- All QotW posts should be tagged with qotw.
- We may want to consider changing this to a Category.
- Posts should include some canned text at the bottom, telling users how they can propose a QotW (link to a search for meta questions tagged QotW, sorted by "newest" - make sure there's a thread started for the next week first).
- Closing text should also include an invite to participate in the site in general, and/or the featured question.
- Formatting and layout of the body should be more standardized.
- For single-question QotW posts, the post's title should match the question's title - and the question's title should be edited to be blog-presentable, if necessary.
I think this will help make our blog look more professional and inviting, as well as make things easier for those who actually have to write the QotW posts.